Croydon is a city in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia situated roughly 28 kilometres east of Melbourne's Central Business District. It carries a populace of almost 27,000 individuals. The land which became Croydon was initially utilised back in the 1840’s by colonists for grazing of farm animals. The very first road through the location was called Sawmill road as a result of sawmill nearby. Later it had been changed to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s that it was altered to what it is identified today as Mt Dandenong Road. The region itself was initially called White Flats as the region was to a great extent filled by a coarse silvery-white type grass. The naming of Croydon was presented to it through the Lacey family who originated from Essx, England who called it after the Croydon in Britain which was Mrs. Lacey's hometown. Close to the present Main St shopping precinct is a street called after the Lacey family.
Packages of land in the area were first mapped in 1868 and the location was first officially habituated with all the region being focused on the farming of sheep, dairy and beef. There were also some sawmills established. Next, there have been orchards that included cherries, apples, pears, peaches as well as plums which flourished. Some of the present street names in and around Croydon now reflect that early development. In 1874 Cobb & Co commenced a service with horses and carts to the area. A train track to the area was opened up on 1 December 1882 and the train station was named Warrandyte that was not actually in Warrandyte which was deceiving as that area would be a horse and coach trip 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it had been renamed to become known as the Croydon railway stop. In the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish constructed his homestead and started several other small business ventures that incorporated a general store, news agency, butchers store as well as a hotel. He also set up various orchard trees. The Croydon Post Office was exposed on 1 December 1883. The nearby Nelson's Hill Post Office opened in 1902 and was subsequently rebranded Burnt Bridge in 1979. On Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall was constructed. Croydon was ultimately proclaimed and gazetted being a city in 1912.
In 1920 a Monday marketplace was began in Croydon which included livestock, chickens, other birds as well as other small animals. It became a famous landmark in the community and a favorite meeting spot for locals from neighbouring suburbs prior to the site was redeveloped in the 1980s. The market was eventually shut down in 2012. For administrative, Croydon was initially a part of what was then the Shire of Lillydale, however in 1957 a demand was submitted by officials for Croydon to leave the Shire of Lillydale and be its own overseeing body. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and it was declared as a City in 1971. Afterwards, it was amalgamated, along with the City of Ringwood to become the City of Maroondah in 1994. Currently, the Main Street of Croydon is a prospering community hub with nearly 200 store.